FRIENDS OF CAMBUSNETHAN PRIORY
Cambusnethan House, locally known as The Priory, is a neogothic masterpiece, designed by architect James Gillespie Graham, and one of the last great houses of the Upper Clyde Valley to survive. Sadly, it was gutted by fire in the 1980s and now only the golden sandstone shell remains, although the stunning gothic carvings remain visible. Our group was set up in 2014 to celebrate the Priory building and grounds. Our aim is to preserve the A listed building, built in 1816, for future generations to enjoy.
We've been busy during lockdown and on average we’ve recorded over 100 visitors to the Priory and grounds per day. Volunteers have spent hundreds of hours keeping the grounds looking amazing, but too many hours have been spent in litter picking. Everyone is welcome, but please take your litter home with you.
• BBC Landward at the Priory - 1st March: Filming took place for BBC Landward programme with Ann Lundon and Dr Alastair Disley. The programme will be aired some time from the end of April onwards
• Priory in the Press - 2nd March 2021: Articles in Daily Record and the Wishaw Press on the group’s activities to #SaveOurPriory
• Outdoor Team activities - This amazing team deals with all matters outdoors at the Priory. A huge amount of work has been carried prior these past months. All those interested in working at the Priory are welcomed, as are suggestions about what we are doing.
- We’ve had lots of voluntary help from Scott Hamilton, The Fencer on FB. Tel 07896836067 Email firstname.lastname@example.org and Stephen Smith, SAS Garden Maintenance Tel 07413 797889 Email email@example.com . Needing some fencing or gardening work done? Give these guys a call – they have done fabulous work for us at the priory and you’ll be supporting local businesses.
• Spring at the Priory – We just love this time of year at the Priory – snowdrops galore, soon to be followed by daffodils and bluebells
• Boxing Day Facebook Live Event - 26th December 2020: Our historian, Marie Lockhart Michlova ran a Facebook Live Bah Humbug session on Boxing Day on how Christmas would have been spent at the Priory. Feedback was so fantastic that Marie is running another Facebook Live event for Easter at the Priory
• Friends of Cambusnethan Priory Calendar 2021 - We had an amazing response to our photo competition for the 2021 Calendar and the support from members and the community has been fantastic.
Congratulations to our Front Cover Winner: Kieran Ferrie.
Look out for the next photo competition for the 2022 calendar
• FOCP branded fleeces and polo shirts – Available to order now – please visit our social media pages or website for more details
• Easter Facebook Live Event - 4th April 2021 7PM: Our historian, Marie Lockhart Michlova is running another Facebook Live event on how they would have spent Easter at the Priory.
Follow our Facebook page for the live link.